Believe it or not, even after a super jam-packed three-day industry conference (and some quality time with my fellow people2people managers of course!), I left the conference feeling very refreshed and re-energised.
The annual RCSA Conference brings together professionals across the staffing and employment industry with the purpose of creating opportunities and sharing experiences to benefit all candidates, workers and employers. Being my first industry conference, I didn’t know what was in store for me and so had no expectations. All the speakers however were very engaging; whether they were discussing recruitment trends and market updates or whether they were sharing inspirational and motivating personal journeys, they had my attention.
There was also a sense of comradery demonstrated by what are essentially my competitors, which came as a surprise to me. The conference provided a safe space for a group of more than 400 recruiters, and what I witnessed was a high degree of collaboration, the sharing of war-stories and great wins, which created a true sense of unity amongst all delegates. The conversations had and presentations shared, left me feeling rebooted and ready to take on the world of recruitment once again!
So, in addition to the merch, meeting many new industry peers, celebrating Halloween together and sharing a beverage or two, here are my takeaways from the 2019 RCSA Conference:
- Don’t just be strong, be ADAPTABLE: Be curious and encourage your team to be courageous and resilient.
- Momentum is only good if you’re heading in the same direction as your CUSTOMER.
- A leader has vision and is optimistic. A leader is the one with the most HOPE.
- Barriers to action can include being scared and overwhelmed.
- EXPERIENCE can be measured through emotion, effort and success.