No, this is not about hair removal!
It’s about the knack of repetition.
During some recent inclement weather, I was surfing cable TV stations and stumbled upon the (original) ‘Karate Kid’ movie. Of course, I skipped past it.
Ok, I didn’t, I hit play.
It’s a great ‘feel-good movie’ and even though a bit cheesy and highly predictable at times, it reminded me of our values at in work place. We recently had a company-wide health check of what our culture represents and I found that this movie had all the components of our values acronym STRIDE, which I would like to share.
- The Strength to keep going, even when times are tough.
- The Teamwork required to accomplish goals.
- The Respect of everyone with whom we engage.
- The Integrity required to carry out our designated roles.
- The Drive – the wanting to do great things
- ...and Enterprise, finding new ways to achieve our goals.
Where are the similarities?
It’s the discipline to repeat even the smallest of things that matter. The ‘wax-on/wax-off’ routine which eventually pays off, such as returning calls, being honest, showing real respect and courtesy for colleagues, customers, job seekers and suppliers alike. I have found these to be THE most important qualities to strengthen and keep life-long relationships and with continual practice, becomes second nature, just like ‘wax-on/wax off’.