Are you an overseas candidate looking to be sponsored for a work visa in Australia?
Here are a few tips to get you started.
1. Find out if you qualify for a 457 visa by completing a visa assessment created by an Accredited Migration Agent.
2.There is more than one way to apply for a 457 visa. Make sure you are aware of all your visa options before you start applying for jobs, as this will give you a big advantage. For more information, contact an expert.
3. Make sure your resume fits the Australian standard, and tailor your cover letter to the job opportunities for which you are applying. It is also very important for you to add the keywords you found on the job description in your CV and cover letter. This will rank your resume higher on database searches and increase your chances of getting an interview.
4. Include your visa options in your cover letter. This will show you did your homework and that you know what your options are.
5. Research your industry preferences in Australia to understand what it takes to get a job here, what salary you should expect and which qualifications you need.
6. Use social media to build your name in the Australian market by following or connecting to influential people in your industry and commenting on their posts.
7. Look for opportunities on job boards for non-residents; be realistic that roles may be limited through recruitment agencies, and also look for opportunities on the hidden job market.
8. Apply for jobs based on quality and not quantity. Make sure you fit the criteria described on the job post.
9. Follow up after applying for jobs via phone or email, even if it's just by sending a thank you note.
10. Interviews in Australia can be very different from any other country, as Australians may be more interested to know about your personality, hobbies, strengths and weakness, etc. Competency based interview questions are also used regularly, usually beginning with, 'Give me an example of when...'
11. Register for Skills2oz, which assists overseas applicants in attaining an accurate visa assessment, securing a 457 nomination and getting credible consultation services around your approach to interviews, your resume and what to expect of the Australian employment market specific to your work experience and background. Good luck!